This project is read-only.

General remarks

Mar 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM
Do you think the MOSS Feature Generator might be a valuable tool (once it has grown up). Or do you miss functionality to make it really usefull? Please let me know. Post your bugs etc. to the issue tracker. Regards, Alfred de Weerd
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:41 AM
I think it certainly will have value - in fact I was thinking of creating this type of tool for my own use at one stage.

I have found one approach to creating SharePoint solutions is to create a simple prototype system that at least includes the required fields and lists. Then modify this prototype in conjunction with the client, and next create the fields/content types/lists as features. This later task is a manual grunt at the moment, though I have used the SharePoint Solution Generator in the MOSS SDK to help derive the basic XML for the lists. It would be great to be able to create the VS files in a "standard" file structure (e.g. under a templates folder structure as per some of the other CodePlex sources) by pointing a utility such as this Feature Generator at the prototype site.This could really help to remove some of those manual steps in SharePoint development.
Jul 4, 2008 at 8:25 PM
This tool will have value. But it has to bring more than the Sharepoint Solution generator brings. So you have to support more Sharepoint assets.

But I think you have made a great start with the functionality you have built so far. How do you think of constructing a complete Site Definition with webparts,lists and so on ?

If you need help let me know.